It’s located in Capo di Faro, also called “cadefa” in the past, and probably it was built in 1128. The builder’s name is unknown: legends say that he had been dropped from the highest point of the lighthouse to prevent the construction of something similar, … or – and this one may be the most realistic version – to avoid his request of the agreed fee.
It was built on the long beach that began in Capo di Faro and arrived to the bank of river Polcevera. On 1927 the «Consorzio Autonomo del Porto di Genova» approved «the enlargment of Genoa harbor by five docks, 200 meters long and 130/150 meters wide, in the sea of Sampierdarena, protected by a westbound extension of the existing dam to defend the basin of Lanterna, and the building of a dock at the mouth of Polcevera river».
The theater was built on 1857 by Nicolò Bruno, with a curtain of Nicolò Barabino, depicting “L’apoteosi dell’Ariosto”. The theater was recently restored and brought back to its former glory.
In via Pietro Chiesa, also known as docks’ street, because there were a lot of warehouses that contained the goods discharged on the docks of the port, today is situated the ancient CIRCOLO DEI CARBONAI, so named because its members were coal unloaders.
The ancient VILLAS
VILLA SPINOLA, VILLA GRIMALDI, VILLA SCASSI, VILLA LERCARI, VILLA DORIA, VILLA CENTURIONE and so on.
On the hills there are the FORTE TENAGLIA, the FORTE BELVEDERE, the FORTE CROCETTA, and so on.